Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Chapter 4 - Human Learning

When I read about CLL (Community Language Learning, p.112)  I laughed out loud.   Very touchy-feely to begin with.   No matter how "comfortable" students get with each other I can only envision giggling and laughter as they try to sputter out sentences that have no meaning to them.  An hour a day and eventually the student will learn.  I really wonder to what extent this actually was successful.  The thought of sitting around while someone translates what you want to say seems somewhat ridiculous.  I can't see learning anything in that setting.
I was relieved to see that it can remind us to make the environment comfortable, safe to make  mistakes, and to get students to initiate language.  These aspects I do deem as very important in the L2 classroom.

1 Comments:

Blogger davidb-sla822 said...

Sarah, I completely agree. That is a ridiculous teaching technique/method/theory. I can't imagine that it would create speakers of a language. I have traveled with students whose language levels were low. While in Germany they needed me to often translate. They listened to me, but I never saw it as a means to helping them. Instead I was their crutch!

March 3, 2008 at 5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home